Skip to main content


What to do if you are unable to make your student loan payments for your campus based loan.


If you are unable to meet your payments you will need to contact Heartland ECSI for the following options: Deferment, forbearance, and cancellation.

In order to be eligible for any of these options, your account must be in good standing.


is a period of time during repayment in which the borrower, upon meeting certain conditions, is not required to make payments of loan principal and sometimes interest. Deferment of your Perkins or Institutional loan may be granted if:

  • You are enrolled at least half time at an accredited institution
  • You are a member of the armed forces or various public or private volunteer organizations (e.g., Peace Corps or VISTA)
  • You are in advanced professional training
  • Get deferment forms for Perkins borrowers at the Heartland ECSI website.


of your obligation to repay your Perkins loan may be granted if you are employed in:

  • Teaching
  • Early intervention services
  • Law enforcement or corrections
  • Nursing or medical technician position
  • Child or family services
  • Head Start
  • Military

All loans can be discharged for total and permanent disability and death.


combines all of your federal loans into one loan. You would only have this option with the Federal Perkins Loan.

  • Your interest rate will be fixed for the length of the loan.
  • You may include your Perkins loan, but once consolidated, you are no longer eligible for the cancellation options listed on your Perkins promissory note. And, under consolidation interest will accrue similar to an unsubsidized loan. To request a copy of your Perkins Loan promissory note, e-mail, or call (858) 822-4727.

Consolidation information for all borrowers is available at the Federal Student Aid websites.

For more specific information, read your promissory note(s), or contact your loan servicer. To find out who your Servicer is login to NSLDS.


Feel free to e-mail us by clicking below or give us a call at 858-822-4727 if you have additional questions.