Skip to main content

Third Party Billing FAQs

Where do I send my authorizations?





What is a Financial Guarantee?

It is a letter from your sponsor authorizing UC San Diego to invoice the sponsor for your tuition and fees.

What is a Third Party Contract Application?

The Third Party Contract Application verifies the sponsor contact and billing information and confirms what items the sponsor has authorized to pay. This can also be used as an authorization if it is signed by the sponsor.

What does a Financial Guarantee do?

It allows UC San Diego to place a sponsor fee credit on the student’s account to temporarily pay the tuition and fees. The authorization then charges the sponsor account allowing UC San Diego to invoice the sponsor so that they can submit payment.

Do I need to submit a Financial Guarantee each year if I have a multi-year authorization?

Yes, the student must resubmit their authorization each year.

How often is a Billing Authorization be submitted?

The Billing Authorization must be submitted for each academic year the student is being sponsored.

Does the authorization expire?

Yes, students must be aware of the expiration date. They can vary from quarterly, yearly and most international students are multi-year. If it has expired the student must contact the sponsor to obtain a valid authorization.

What happens if the student does not submit an authorization prior to the fee payment deadline?

Students are subject to a hold on the student account if the authorization is not received by the fee payment deadline date. Students will be responsible to make the payment in full which includes the tuition, fees and any outstanding balance by the fee payment deadline. Failure to do so will result in your courses being dropped.

Can a Financial Guarantee be accepted after the deadline?

Financial Guarantees received after the published deadline are reviewed on an exception only basis. Please contact Student Financial Solutions office: (858) 822-4727 or submit a ticket at

Are sponsors responsible for the student’s tuition?

No, ultimately the student is responsible the tuition/student fees.

Should the student report a sponsorship to the financial aid office?

Yes, it can be reported on the MyAwards website and request a change in aid, this helps ensure that the student is not over awarded.

When are sponsors invoiced?

The Third Party Billing Office will invoice the sponsors after the add/drop date each quarter.  Sponsors will receive an email once invoices are available.  We will provide 1 invoice per quarter.

Does the sponsor pay all of the charges on the student's account?

No, some sponsors do not cover course material fees, health insurance or misc. fees. Therefore, those charges must be paid by the student by the fee payment deadline.

Can a student have a sponsorship and Department pay their tuition/student fees?

No, not if it is fee specific. Sponsorships supersede campus aid. Fee-specific awards cannot exceed the amount of tuition/student fees.

What does a student do if their sponsorship ends or is terminated?

Please contact Student Financial Solutions office: (858) 822-4727 or submit a ticket at

Does the sponsor pay for the UC San Diego health insurance fee on the student account?

Most sponsors do not cover the Student Health fee. We recommend that you contact your sponsor for regarding this payment to cover your health insurance.

Who is the campus contact person for sponsorships?

Contact Student Financial Solutions at 858-822-4727 or
Location: Student Services Center, Third Floor, Suite 355. 
Office hours: Monday-Wednesday, Friday 8am - 4pm, Thursday 10am - 4pm.